Thursday, May 8, 2008

What Do You Want?

Sunday evening at our church, First Baptist Church of Belton, we had a young woman that came and told her story. She and her husband were missionaries in Iraq right after the fall of Baghdad. I won't even try to tell her story, she was shot 22 times and her husband was killed. It was one of the most moving stories I have heard in a long time. Her name was Carrie McDonnell, I walked away from that church service very moved and challenged by what I had heard. I will be the first to admit that I have a wiggly personality! I like things that are new and original. I am curious, and intense. Sometimes this is a very challenging personality to have and be a part of a traditional Baptist Church.

When I go to church this is what I want...

I want to be led into worship to the throne of God.
I want to experience joy and excitement.
I want to have my toes stepped on.
I want to be encouraged to get into God's word.
I want to hear the truth of Jesus Christ in very specific terms!
I want to hear what God's word says on every current topic and headline!
I want to be given very specific help/instructions on how to live the Christian life. I think they call this practical application!!!!
I want to walk away from hearing the Word of God from the Holy Bible spoken in such a way that I remember it through out the week and strive to live up to the challenge of it.
I want to hear the message of salvation, but that is not all I want to hear!
I just want more of God!!!
I want friends that want more of God!!!

I understand that this is some kinda list!!! Kind of like Proverbs 30. It probably can't all be done in one day! I also understand that no church, church member, pastor, music minister is perfect!
I also know that the one on one time that I spend with the God during the week will be a direct reflection on my worship experience on Sunday.

I believe that God's word is a plumb line of truth for the born-again Christian life. When God's truth is presented it should be a mark that we look at and line our lives up by it.

God's Word is the truth. The bible says that it is alive. Hebrews 4:12 "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper that any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. " I really believe that when we hear or read the truth of God it will move us to action. If we choose to believe it!

I also believe that the Bible is absolute truth and lives forever.
Psalms 119:160 "All your words are true; all your righteous laws are eternal."
Hebrews 13:8 "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."
John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning.


Well right or wrong this is where I am...J'net

No comments: